Saturday, September 8, 2018

Oat and Coconut Flour Pancakes

Three weeks ago, I received my results from taking the LEAP MRT blood test. I discovered that I am sensitive to:
  • wheat
  • corn
  • soy
  • cane sugar
  • maple
and a bunch of other foods that I had been regularly eating!

I've been eating a mostly vegan diet for about a year, but I am still struggling with intense itchy psoriasis on my scalp. I decided to take this expensive ($350!) blood test to see if changing my diet could improve my skin. I started with phase 1 2 weeks ago, and now I'm on phase 3. The MRT LEAP tells me I can have some dairy and eggs, so I'm contemplating how to fit that in to an anti-cancer vegan diet, and that's probably a post for another time...

Anyway, I woke up this morning with a craving for pancakes. I found this blog post (thank you!) and modified the recipe to add coconut and flaxseed (both are on my green list).

Here's my updated recipe

  • 1 1/3 cups oat flour (I bought the already ground oat flour)
  • 1/3 cup coconut flour
  • 1/3 cup flaxseed
  • 2 tsp vanilla extract
  • 2 cups liquid (whole milk, nut milk, water, whatever you like)
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 2 tsp baking powder
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1 1/2 tbsp oil (I used coconut oil)
  • 1 tbsp cider vinegar
Mix all ingredients except the vinegar in a bowl. Add the vinegar and stir. Let sit for a few minutes. This made a really thick batter. The original recipe had 1 1/3 cups liquid, and I used whole milk in this recipe (1 1/3 cups, then added 2/3 cup water). Drop by 1/4-1/3 cup amounts on a hot skillet. I added chocolate chips for my kids.



Observations and thoughts

  • The pancakes were slightly dry, I suspect from the coconut and flaxseed. I think I'll try this again with less flaxseed and maybe a different flour.
  • There was a coconut flavor (the oil and flour added this). Don't use those if you don't want this flavor!
  • One of my kids liked the pancakes (yay!), the other didn't.
  • If you make extras you can freeze them for a weekday meal.